Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

A holiday of joy for so many. Can we adequately remember the pleasure we found as children in this holiday? Pleasure in our costumes, pleasure at being surrounded by candy treats. Can we imagine the pleasure cross-dressers feel on this day? Pleasure in the one day in which society does not frown upon them dressing as their desires compel them too.

Candy for the kids, cracking open of the closet for some pervy folks. A tremendous holiday for many.

Alas, I am neither a kid nor a cross-dresser. I also live in a strikingly rural place, so will have no Trick or Treaters stopping by this evening. The holiday for me then will not be a night of revelry, but it does afford me a very interesting opportunity to think and reflect upon life, upon my life.

I am not normal. I do not lead a normal life. I am not surrounded by normal people.

This is good, for I do not approve of normal.

Normal is working at a job one hates. Normal is spending more than one can afford. Normal is a marriage filled with conflict. Normal is visiting family one just doesn’t enjoy. Normal is stress and busywork.

I must believe that life is supposed to be exciting, an adventure, full of joy. I must believe that our lives need to make a positive difference to the world in which we live. For these reasons I am not normal, I choose to be something different from normal.

I write, and I love to write. My job is interesting, and important to society as a whole. I live in a very small, but very desirable home, one that is easily affordable due to its size, yet much coveted due to its feel. My family is fun for those who are included in it add value to my life, relatives who do not are not seen out of any twisted view of obligation. My family is not limited to relatives, but includes wonderful intimate friends. I avoid unnecessary stress. I prefer hedonism to busy work and pursue/avoid according to those preferences.

Mrs. CM shares my divergence from what is normal, and perhaps our lack of the normal is most visible in our marriage. Our marriage is long standing, 19 years now, and we love each other very much. In fact, we do not honestly know of another marriage that is happier. That said, our marriage is quite far from normal.

We both enjoy radical sex, and we both pursue sex that ranges far beyond what we call plain vanilla. Neither of us believes in monogamy, and we both pursue love and intimacy with others, wonderful people who have become a part of our chosen family. We are together because we choose to be together. Not because being together is the easiest or only option available to us. Our individual lives, and our shared life together are immeasurably richer due to this fact.

On the outside we look normal. We look like good conservative Republicans. That’s likely because we are good conservative Republicans, with a Libertarian bent of course. We are though quite far from normal, and thrilled with the fact that we don’t allow ourselves to be normal.

On this night of dress up, of nightmare and fantasy, I must wonder.

On this night when everyone normal pursues fantasy, should we gleefully pursue normalcy, for to us normalcy is the fantasy?

No comments: