Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Damp But Not Drowned

Last Friday we had a little flood here at my house. Today we had a big one. Roughly five inches of rain in the past 24 hours on top of all the rain we have received over the past week pushed the Skykomish River well over its banks.

Luckily, for the second time in a row, my home wasn’t damaged, and I believe that all of my neighbors have survived the flood as well. It all started about 6:00 AM when I awoke to a view of water covering all the lowland to the south of my house, with much more obviously on the way.

Unlike last Friday I was unable to post periodic updates here because I was needed to help evacuate a friend and his possessions from that lowland. That took a bit of the day and when I was done it was time to start moving some of my own things to the higher ground behind my house.

All the while time seemed to crawl as we watched the water rise and rise, waiting for 4 PM, the time when the National Weather Service said that the River would crest here. Luckily it did before doing major damage, and better yet about an hour early. It’s been going down since then, and I imagine will be back in its banks by afternoon tomorrow.

There is, unfortunately only one road in and out of the tiny community I live in, and one section of that road did suffer fairly severe damage today, and remains impassable tonight. With luck a crew will be here to fix it in the morning, and with a bit more luck the fix will not take long.

The Skykomish, and ultimately the Snohomish Rivers below me continue rising tonight, and major flooding is predicted in the valleys. I can only hope that the people living downstream get off as lucky as we did here.

2 comments:

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Hopefully the flooding will end. I have been in a major flood in Louisiana, you may have heard of it, and it sucks.

C.M. Bailey said...

OB,

Thank you. The flooding has ended, the river is back within its banks this morning.

I can't imagine how bad the flood you lived through must have been.