Friday, November 7, 2008

Flooding In Western Washington

Today history seems to be repeating itself along the South Fork of the Skykomish River.

Floodwaters are very high, with some of my neighbors having water in their yards. I don’t think that the waters are high enough to have entered anyone’s homes yet, and I hope that it stays that way.

I sent Mrs. CM out a few hours ago to prevent her becoming trapped if the flooding destroys our roads as has happened so many times in the past. I’ve not been down the road from our house since she left, so I do not know if it remains passable at this time.

At my home the water has almost covered the granite slab that protects us, if it does cover the entire slab that is the time when I must begin to worry. For now I’m simply watching. It will likely prove to be a very long day here, and amazingly wet as we have had over two and a quarter inches of rain since midnight.

In the flood of November 2006 a major logjam was created on the granite slab, right in front of our house. That jam is growing exponentially today. It’s creation did ruin what was a wonderful beach for us, but there is a benefit as well because it is serving as a breakwater, keeping the force of the river out towards the center of the channel and away from our banks. I don’t know if it will continue providing that service if this becomes a major flood, but for now it is offering us a good measure of protection.

An interesting way to wake up this morning as the river remained low late last night; I must hope that it does not grow any larger throughout the day today

No comments: