Saturday, November 8, 2008

No Second Drafts

When I started this blog, not so very long ago, I decided that I must live by two rules:

Honesty. I needed to put my personal truth into this blog.

No drafts. I did not want to re-write endlessly, to loose my personal truth while searching for the perfect word, the proper phrase.

When this blog is read it is as it came directly from mind to Mac. No rewrites, no revisions, no second drafts. The writing would likely be better if that were not the case, perhaps much better. Some part of my truth would though be lost. That truth which I cannot sacrifice here.

2 comments:

Miss Honey said...

I admire your dedication to this concept. The allowing of thoughts freely to be expressed without huge bits of self editing is a tricky thing.

My personal problem to is that too often I write when I am sleepy as that is when I am sitting quietly with the laptop and am able to write. And I am forever dropping the r's in your (among numerous other stupid typos). However, other than a bit of clean up... a to an, commas here and there... etc, I do not change a post in feel or meaning, that is my rule.

C.M. Bailey said...

MH,

It's that crazy little self censor I'd like to avoid. That nagging little voice who worries about what people may think. By posting the first drafts, I don't give him time to get fired up.

Perhaps someday the posts here that I really like will get a second and a third draft, then placed in another forum or medium. It seems like that would be a fun thing to do.

I do run the spell checker through the post, hopefully catching my more glaring errors, I don't see that as a draft though, simply some housekeeping so that I don't drive my visitors here crazy with my mistakes.