Friday, November 14, 2008

The Written Word

Yesterday Ole Blue The Heretic posted about literacy and it’s decline in the modern world. The Literate and Illiterate War

I fear that the implied conclusions; that despite the shocking sums our nation spends upon education we are getting less able to comprehend the written word, may just be true. It is a disturbing concept to contemplate.

I fear that it just may be true because of a surreal experience I had at work a couple of years ago.

I work for a large and formal institution. One of my major functions in that environment is the writing of factual information that is provided to the general public. This institution prides itself on employing the very best and brightest, and in my view the culture is such that those who do not meet that very high standard are very quickly let go, or leave on their own due to the stress involved with trying to meet the expected mark.

My surreal experience from a couple of years ago came when I attended some writing classes offered by the institution that employs me. The classes were designed to teach us how to write for the fourth grade reading level.

These classes were provided because the institution had learned that the average person could read and comprehend adequately at that level, but no higher. It was suggested that if we wanted to be understood, we had better ‘dumb ourselves down.’

Clear and reasoned thinking requires language. Without adequate words we cannot reach correct conclusions based upon rational thought, nor communicate those conclusions to others. Language is the basis of thought, the basis of human existence at any level above barbarism.

If we loose language, we loose our ability for thought. If we ‘dumb down’ our language we restrict our ability to think. Indeed, our mastery of words is the most important capacity possessed by humanity. That we, as individuals, would allow ourselves to loose our mastery of language is unthinkable to me. That any normal adult would allow himself or herself to remain illiterate our even to remain at a fourth grade reading level is shocking to me.

Words are the richness of humanity, without their mastery we miss out on so very much.

Just a quick run through my little blogroll shows this. In addition to The Heretic we have Honey, A Girl in Short Shorts, Cascade Exposures, and One Minute Writer.

Ms. Honey
writes of love, intimacy, and a delightful pervyness that adds tremendous color to everyday life. A Girl in Short Shorts communicates complex and dull political theory in an entertaining and humorous way. Cascade Exposures is a photography blog, it communicates via images, yet even so it requires words for without words the images would loose important context and perspective. One Minute Writer is a simple and fun tool that will help to improve mastery of language for those who use it.

Each of these sites, and the communicators behind them understand the importance of words, of literacy. It is disturbing to me that apparently so many in our society do not.

7 comments:

jlbussey said...

A minor point, but words do not create thoughts. Whether you say 'dog' or 'chien' is a matter of cultural agreement on a representative symbol for an object. The word does not create your thought about the object, the word is merely a tool for communicating about the object. And even without any common words, people can communicate because people can think and observe and figure things out without words. (I myself think much more graphically and spatially than with words.) Effective communication in any society above hunter-gatherer however, requires an extensive vocabulary and understanding. Development of science and technology requires a high level of literacy, as does overcoming the limits of human nature (for example our tendency to us-vs-them thinking).

It is a curious thing however, that after centuries of ever increasing literacy, we should be backsliding now. I can think of a few possible factors, none of which satisfy me completely. We're technologically advanced enough and compartmentalized enough that broad knowledge isn't necessary for most people. School systems have to teach to the lowest common denominator because we've main-streamed more and more kids that are at the bottom of the bell curve (100 years ago, if you didn't have any scholastic ability you didn't have to go to school, nor did you if you were poor and your family needed you to work on the farm or in the factory, so by the time you were in high school, only the rich and smart kids were going); this also decreases joy of learning for the smart ones. If you want to approach paranoia territory, our defacto oligarchy depends on us all being dumb and compliant to maintain power, how else could they convince us that they are the ones with the answers, when they repeatedly fail us?

C.M. Bailey said...

JB,

I think you are right in pointing out a bit of over generalization on my part.

It is true that words do not create thoughts, but for me words are, I believe, necessary for me to think properly upon an object, not only to communicate about it.

I presume that as you imply different people think in different ways.

Like you, I do not have a satisfactory answer as to why we as a society do not demand literacy for ourselves but my own hunches include the education system you mention, and I also wonder about the television.

Perhaps the ability to be entertained, to vicariously experience fantasy worlds, without the need of reading somehow lessens the desire for reading.

In any event, the above is just my speculation for whatever it may be worth.

I do think though that if this trend continues we would be left with an extremely stratified society. Those who possess true knowledge on the top, holding vast wealth, those without the ability to gain such knowledge in poverty. This I think would be the inevitable result because unlike some, perhaps most, jobs of the past, the jobs of the future will require a high level of literacy.

Such an outcome would be very bad indeed, and hopefully can be avoided.

jlbussey said...

Yes, knowing more words does help you think about and define things more clearly to yourself and others. I enjoy an occasional stroll through the thesaurus myself!

You have a good point about TV too. I didn't grow up with one, we didn't have one until I was 15 or 16. I think that it not only shortens one's attention span, but it habituates in people a certain um, laziness? of mind. It rewards you for waiting to be told. Waiting for the commercial, waiting for the punchline, waiting for the cliffhanger. Creates an incredibly passive mindset.

I wonder about the stratification too. But I don't know that "true knowledge" would be what would get you on the top level. Ambition gets you there, and the ability to manipulate people. The lust for power within some people will overcome knowledge easily. Especially these days when the sum of human knowledge is far too great for any single person to master. A couple hundred years ago a person could know almost everything there is to know, not now. I think that goes with the compartmentalized nature of the world now. How much knowledge do you really think Obama has? To attain the most powerful political office in the world when you're only 47 must take an almost all-consuming desire for power underneath all that charisma. Even leadership skill and command ability will fall short against that combo.

Personally I'd rather live under the knowledge stratification than the current one. (Although maybe that's because I'm a chemist, and therefore supposedly one of the "knowledgeable ones.")

Miss Honey said...

Wow, and I was just going to say thank you for saying nice things about me. :)

Well, let me try it this way.

I sincerely appreciate finding such a complimentary expression of regard for my unique style and I will dare to accept your collocation of "delightful pervyness." Which I will admit allowed me to feel that what I offer is...

Oh... enough of that...

:) Thanks, this was nice.

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I have heard many who claim education is not cool and elitist.

chris said...

Verbal communication worked just fine for thousands of years when it was too difficult to write effectively or efficiently. But today, literacy certainly provides a significant advantage both socially and especially economically. And in the US, there really is no good excuse for making it through public school without at least being able to read. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't happen, and for a myriad of reasons, but there really should be no available excuses. Especially in a lawsuit-happy culture.

And just to be a part-time enforcement officer for the Grammar Police, might I suggest looking up the definitions for two similarly spelled vocabulary words: loose and lose? Just remember, I don't blame you. I blame your public school.

chris said...

And from a fellow chemist, I love the quote about being "knowledgeable" because you're a chemist! As long as knowledgeable only means knowing slightly more than the average fellow about how matter behaves.